Some of the
pioneering families of the district played soccer but due to World
War 1 the Club was not officially registered
Soccer Club registered/founded by George Green, Bob Shaw and Jack
Silver. Original Club meetings held at George Green's home in
Members of the original 1920
team were Bill Bowers,
George Green, Albert Green, Arthur
Cresswell, Percy Green, Charlie White, Fred Kenward,
Malcolm Campbell and Willie Laird. Some other names from
those days were Ernie Barlow, Dave Campbell, Jack Edgar,
Bill Gibson, Tom Laird, Jack Pollard, Jack Silver, Ernie Westance and
team then known as the Black
won the YMCA Inter-suburban Cup in 3 consecutive seasons
The 1930 team were Eric and Owen (Mucker) Gordon, Col Meade,
Eric Birtwell, Frank Nugent, Bill Jones, Cec and Roy Reid, Bill
Lincoln, Dave Fairweather, Bill Bowers, A Briggs, George Green
(Coach) Andy Dixon (Manager) and Alf Green (Mascot). Other names
from the 1930s are Gordon Morey, Syd Layton, Roy Charrington, Harry
Collins, Frank and Jack Bowmen and Wally Kenward.
Games were played in Bell's Paddock, our
original home ground (currently where West Mitchelton Junior Rugby
League plays its home games) on Samford Road, which was an Army
campsite during the First World War. The
players from both sides used Frank Nugent's Picture Theatre (this is
currently where Mitre 10 is housed and before that the Mitchelton
Skating Rink) as
their change rooms. The Picture Theatre
had no roof so wet weather was a problem. When
there was insufficient moonlight for training, the solitary 75 watt
security light at the back of the Nugent's Picture Theatre provided
the illumination for night training. The Black Diamonds
also played some games in Bowman's Paddock, presently part of
Brookside Shopping Centre. It was a cow paddock during the week so
considerable back bending exercise was needed each weekend to
transform it into a football field.
a Mitchelton Junior team
meeting called by Fred Gray, his father and George Green was held on
a footpath under a convenient street light. The outcome was a team of
youngsters, known as Mitchelton Rovers, who wore white shirts with
blue trim, being formed. The team played Junior Minor for Mitchie,
graduated to Junior, were interrupted by World War II, reassembled in
1947 as Juniors and graduated to Senior (Third Division) in 1948.
Seniors won Third
Division Premiership, John Fern and McGregor Cups
The Mitchelton Soccer Club won the 1948 Premiership, the John Fern
Cup and McGregor Cup. The 1948 team lost only one game, scored 90
goals and conceded only 14.
Three of the members of the 1930 Black Diamonds team, Tom Kenward,
Col Meade and Cec Reid combined to form the 1948 team with Harry
Gray, Bill Sharman, Vince Smart, Bob and Carson Laird (Vice Captain),
Dick Martin, Arthur Crane, Eric Birtwell, Bill Bain, Tom Wood (Capt),
Malcolm Campbell, Charlie Hensler, W Warrell, A Smart, and Clarrie
Tree Memorial Cup
This annually awarded prestigious Trophy commemorates former club
member, John Tree, an RAAF rear gunner, and a member of one of the
district's early families, who was killed in World War 2 over
Europe. The Cup was awarded for the Best and Fairest player in the
Club for the season. The trophy continues to be awarded annually
although its purpose has been altered to reward the player who most
assists the Club in a non-playing capacity.
played in the Second Division
played in Third Division
Third Division Premiership and Round 1 Cup
Players in the 1954 team were: Fred Horne, T Vincent, P and J Connors, G
McKenzie, S Waters (Coach/Manager), J Enever, M Collins, C Carnall, J
McJannett, B Waters, D Green, G Laird and H Carnall.
Second Division Premiership
Players in the 1955 team were: V Timms, Fred Horne, B Waters, J McJannett,
A Millar, D Green, H Carnall, T Ramsay, C Carnall, G Laird, P
Connors, J Enever, M Collins, R Grimley, and G McKenzie.
Coach/Manager - S Waters.
Side won Third Division Premiership, Knockout and 2nd
Players in the undefeated 1959 team were William Cuddahy, Danny Van
Delden, Alan Schafer, S Baumann, Alf Thompson, Fred Horne, Eric
(Bill) Thompson, Des Miles, I Lawson, Malcolm Campbell, M Green, Jack
Bostock, Tom Davies, Jim Martin, Alec Eden, K Starkey, C Carnell and
Trophy commemorating the 1959 Premiership first awarded to player
deemed to be the season's "Mr Football"
Trophy was awarded to the player selected by the Committee as being
the Club Footballer of the Year. "Mr Football" is still awarded
annually although the players now vote on their Player of the Year.
The Bee Gees
perform at our Club's Annual Trophy Night
Federation (QSF) established with 8 First Division Clubs breaking
away from Queensland Soccer Football Association
soccer game played in Brisbane
Brisbane ladies competition was started as a result of teams from
Mitchelton and Annerley being invited to play at a carnival day at
Mitchelton on 18 May 1962. The official competition commenced in
1965 under the Brisbane Junior Soccer Association.
in QSF First Division (below State League equivalent of 2nd Division)
finished second missing promotion to State League for 1964 by 1
side's promotion bid halted by draw in last fixture.
Consolation win in
The team needed to beat Oxley in last fixture to gain promotion to
the First Division but was thwarted by a 1-1 draw. The team gained
some consolation by winning the Grand Final beating Oxley 5-2.
With increasing numbers of juniors the Mitchelton Soccer Football
Club Committee decided to form a Junior Sub Committee. Previously
juniors played for free, in 1971 a fee of $0.50 per player to be
registered was charged.
continued to play on Bell's Paddock (Mitchelton Oval) but by the
late 1960's, it was obvious that the ground could not accommodate
the Club's growth and the field was not suitable for the playing of
good football because of its slope from Samford Road towards the
train line and the lower end of the rugby league field. The playing
surface, despite regular top dressing by volunteers, remained too
rough. It became somewhat a standing joke that topdressing of the
soccer field would be washed on to the league field in heavy storms.
The junior field between the main field and the train line at the
back of the picture theatre was unable to sustain any decent growth
of grass. Several reasons for this have been expressed but it seems
certain that it was an environmental problem resulting from the Army
being based there during World War 1.
Action had to be taken to identify a suitable new home ground and a
Sub Committee was established under Ross Black to oversee the search.
Another member of his committee was Duncan McDonald, a qualified
surveyor, whose expertise in laying out the new fields was to prove
"A" Grade Team win Grand Final. Beat Annerley 2-1 at Perry Park
were beaten for the first time in 8 years. Goal scorers that day were
Lesley Arkinstall and Lyn Addison. Some of the other members of the
team that year were: Brenda Jones, Brenda Clegg, Maria Radenovic,
Vera O'Donovan, Lyndall Smith (now Carter), Val Larson, Adelle Ham,
Diane Retchless, Linda Holm, S Templeton and Pam Taylor. Coach was
Kevin Jones. The Ladies repeated the result the following year again
beating Annerley in the final.
Field Layout at
Teralba Park determined
The Sub Committee liaised with the Brisbane City Council which
suggested the market gardens resumed at the bottom of Teralba Park
and with a lot of work it could have been ready for 1976. Once the
field layout was determined, construction could commence. This would
take some time due to the availability of Council resources.
A building fund was setup and teams were requested to raise $100.00
each towards the new project. Other fundraisers to keep the Club
going were the Miss Junior Soccer competition, Annual Fete, Brook
Hotel Raffles and a stall at the RNA Exhibition.
Sports Club formed
To meet Brisbane City Council requirements for obtaining a lease on
Council land at Teralba Park, the club format was changed to include
multi sports. Activities included were Senior and Junior Soccer,
netball, rugby league, touch football, and cricket. Baseball and Tee
ball were added later.
Foundation members of the Sports Club were: Terry & May
Anderson, Frank & June Barrett, Kevin S Jones, Arthur & Merle
Heiner, Glen & Dianne Stevens, Lois Clark, Graham & Gwen
Barker, Alberto & Maria Bartilomo, Col & Ros Ivey, Warren &
Shirley Beasley, Andy & Ada Thompson, and Edna Jones.
Sports Club Guarantors were: Terry & May Anderson, Ross Black,
Phil Harris, Arthur & Merle Heiner, Kevin & Vicki Jones,
Kevin S Jones, Des Miles, Andy & Ada Thompson.
The objects of the organisation were to provide and maintain playing
fields and amenities at Teralba Park and promote, foster, support and
encourage soccer and other approved sports.
The 1975 Committee was an eager and dedicated group keen to progress
with the new grounds and club house at the new park. A parks sub
committee and a finance sub committee were set up to manage future
development for the Teralba Park complex.
Grade Team wins Grand Final
The Ladies "B" Grade team finished second in the Premiership to Newmarket
but turned the tables on their local rivals winning the replay of the
Grand Final 1-0. Shareena O'Keefe scored a last minute penalty to
clinch the match. Members of the winning team were: Doris Haddock,
Suzanne Grant, Cheryl Petersen, Shareena O'Keefe, Leonie YohYeh,
Karen Motershead, Joan Van Kuijck, Helena Van Eldik, Judy Toohey,
Karen Lynam, Elizabeth Thompson, Sandra Grant, and Vicky Dacey. The
team also won Carnivals in Bundaberg and Southport and the
President's Shield for best goal average.
Park becomes a reality
The move to Teralba Park could not come soon enough as the number of
teams fielded by the club doubled in the 3 year period from 1973 to
1976 to 3 senior, 2 ladies and 22 junior teams. Training continued at
Mitchelton Oval with matches conducted at Teralba Park. Additional
lighting provided for training in 1976 at Mitchelton Oval was
transferred to the new field. The old market
gardener's cottage was transformed by volunteers into canteen and change
rooms. While the Brisbane City Council could not have been more
helpful, regrettably, large quantities of the beautifully rich market
garden soil were removed from the main field to be used to develop
two more cricket fields at Marchant Park. Only a small layer of
topsoil remained and this required the Club to undertake further
remedial work to bring the ground up to it present high standard.
Teralba Park provides one of the largest areas of playing fields in
Brisbane and the Club can look forward to further growth in the
Referee, formerly a member of the Club's 1959 premiership team and
Senior Club President awarded highest FIFA referee's badge
with First Division club Bardon Latrobe
Bardon-Latrobe was playing in the Brisbane First Division competition
and Mitchelton in the Second Division. Due to falling membership and
financial resources and the desire of the QSF to keep Bardon-Latrobe
in the competition, it was proposed that Mitchelton would take over
running that Club's First and Reserve teams as well as running its
own teams. Bardon-Latrobe was to continue playing under that banner
for the first season and then become absorbed into the Mitchelton
Club. Some Mitchelton players played for the First Division team to
try to avoid relegation but in the end the Club's overall objective
of having a team in the First Division was not achieved with both
Bardon-Latrobe and Mitchelton struggling. Effectively the
amalgamation failed but Mitchelton did retain its Second Division
status and did acquire the services of some of Bardon's players.
Memorial Trophy first awarded
The annual Kerrie Heiner Memorial Trophy was awarded to the
highest fund raising team in the Club with individual trophies to
team members. The Under 13-1 team was the inaugural winner.
of new club house at Teralba Park commenced
The plans for the new club house were submitted to Council in 1977
and construction commenced in 1978.
Due to problems with the lease and construction of a bank protection
wall to stop land erosion, building had to be halted. Eventually
permission was granted to complete the toilet block and still carry
on fixtures. Working bees conducted by club members at the new
ground were well attended making the effort both work and social.
Today's club house stands as a monument to the volunteers who
devoted much time and effort in its construction.
To mark the move to Teralba Park, a march of players, coaches, and
families was led by the then Club President, Rob Beck, from Samford
Road to Teralba Park.
provided for colours of green and white with yellow as a
The Club originally played in the Black
Diamond's colours but when reformed, the green and white strip was
chosen. The introduction of yellow into the club's colours
permitted the change to the current green and yellow strip.
team defeat Merton East 2-0 in Second Division Grand Final
One of the Club's most important results was in 1979 when we
defeated Merton East 2-0 to win the Second Division Grand Final at
Perry Park. The Final was watched by a huge crowd of Mitchie
supporters who witnessed a stellar performance by the Mitchie team.
Mitchelton was coached by Syd Tucker and the team lineup was as
follows: Dave Mewburn, Ian Perry, John Coffey, Michael Hayes, Neil
Orford, Ritchie Shortman, Peter McDonald, Greg McDonald, Garth Jones,
Phil Cruse, Ross Denny, Barry Anderson, Graham Morey, and Dave
Gallagher. The following season Merton East turned the tables on
Mitchelton winning the Grand Final 3-1.
Club Patron, Roy
Harvey, Lord Mayor of Brisbane, opened our new Club house
When work stopped on the construction of the club house, vandalism
became a problem and the Club sought the assistance of its Patron,
Roy Harvey, Lord Mayor of Brisbane, to proceed with the building.
Alderman Harvey gave permission for the work to resume and opened the
new club house on its completion.
Fund raising for the new club house included seeking $100 donations
from Foundation Members, the sale of Bricks and guarantees from
Sports Club Guarantors for the Commonwealth Bank.
Events commemorating the Diamond Jubilee were a Dinner Dance held at
the new club house on 26 April 1980 and the Presentation Night at the
Gaythorne RSL on 17 October 1980.
playing field at Teralba Park named "Fred Gray Memorial Field"
On 8 June 1981 the main playing field at Teralba Park was named "Fred
Gray Memorial Field" in honour of the late Life Member, Fred Gray,
for his part in the establishment of the Club and for his many years
of untiring service in making Mitchelton Club into what it had
The dedication was held in conjunction with the annual Under 9
Carnival and Fete. A highlight of the day was the arrival by
helicopter of England and Everton striker, Bob Latchford accompanied
by Jim Hermiston and Ron Smith.
With completion of the club house, the Committee could then
concentrate on more lighting, fencing, and closing off the original
entrance from Griffith Street and opening the road from Osborne Road.
bitumen road from Osborne Road to Clubhouse opened
On training nights dust from the dirt road from Osborne Road to the
playing fields created a haze over Teralba Park as vehicles
transporting players arrived and departed. The construction of the
bitumen road was a priority for the Sports Club under the then
President Barrie Adams. The cost of the road was $12,955 and was
paid for by funds raised by dedicated club members.
superstar, George Best, visits the club
Park Land Leased
Alderman Roy Harvey continued as Patron and approval was given by the
Council for the lease of additional land.
A Development Committee was formed to prepare plans for
advancement of the club up to 1990.
played in the Second Division
Division team relegated from Second to Third Division
Division side won Third Division Premiership and Grand Final
Our 3rd Division team won the Premiership and the Grand Final against
Latrobe with the Reserve Grade team winning the Grand Final against
Slacks Greek. Players who played in the top team that year were Glen
Norton, Michael Black, Graham Edmonds, Paul Tanner, Mark and Paul
Bland, Brett McDonald, Tony Mancini, Craig Mills, Paul Wrigley, Phil
Millard, Darren Mair, Geoff Lincoln, Giovanni Tatti, Coach - Peter
side relegated to Third Division
After a sensational 1991 the Second Division team struggled all year
and was unfortunately relegated to the 3rd Division for
the following season.
Mitchie enters a
team in World Masters Games - known as the "MOB" Mitchelton Old
with Brisbane Sports Club proceeds
A consortium known as the Brisbane Sports Club, lead by Paul Novak
offered to take over the running of the Mitchelton Sports Club and
proposed a major upgrade of the Teralba Park facilities and football
operations. Sports Club members voted to accept the proposal leading
to Ex-Socceroos Greg Brown and Robbie Dunn playing for the Club and
the acquisition of ex-international, Gary McDowall, as Club Coach for
1996. This change is seen as one of the highlights in Mitchelton
Football Club's history.
Anniversary Dinner held at Parliament House
A huge turnout of former and current players and supporters takes
place at Queensland Parliament House.
finishes second in Third Division and return to Second Division for
the 1997 season
Restructuring of the competition by the Queensland Soccer Federation
saw the Club placed in the Semi-Pro Division One North competition
(effectively Division Two) for the 1997 season
Senior team wins
Semi Pro Division 1 North Premiership and Championship
Members of the 1997 team were: Andrew Poyser, Daryl Heiner, James
Hermiston, Simon Arnold, Craig Binnington, Anthony Sommerville, Effie
Cassar, Paul Bland, William Ingleldew, Michael Black, Brett McDonald,
Lee Scriggins, Darryl Grundy, Adam Pilat, Enzo Dagostino, Tommy York,
Chris McAlary, Matt Tochterman, Keith Shaw, and Toni Bellino.
of the Century announced
A Panel of former players and supporters sought nominations for our
Team of the Century . The Panel comprised Vic Marshall, Des Miles,
Keith Green, Geoff Lincoln, Kevin Jones and Mick Carter.
Players selected for membership of the Club's Team of the Century
Goalkeepers - Ted Reimers and Dave Gallagher
Defenders - Iain Fagan, Paul Bland, Allen Bain, Ian Perry
Midfielders - Barry Rowe, Peter MacDonald, Col Bain, Neil Orford
Strikers - Michael Black, Richie Smith, Greg Brown, Carson Laird, Tom
Coach - Gary McDowall
received B.N.& D. Junior Soccer Association "Outstanding Club
of the Year" award
was made to the club in the B.N.&D Junior Soccer Association
competition achieving the highest number of points in premiership
Grand Final Day - Second Division play in Grand Final
Another successful season with our team making the Grand Final. The match was played at Perry Park but unfortunately we lost 0-2 to North Star. Our strong
supporter base always ensures that our teams are well supported.
for Premier League Group
for promotion to the Premier League, a volunteer group was
established to develop a strategy to ensure the Club's
competitiveness for promotion to the Premier League and its
continuity in that competition.
team promoted to Premier League
Another significant moment in the Club's history was the First
winning a two legged play-off against Ipswich Knights (from the
Premier League) to gain entry into the 2004 Premier League.
Mitchelton had finished second to Eastern Suburbs after the
completion of the home and away season. Mitchelton played the first
play-off game at Teralba Park and won 3-0 courtesy of goals from Matt
Hendra, Damian Pilat and Peter Josey. The return game at Ipswich was
a 0-0 draw ensuring Mitchelton's victory in the play-off. The
members of the team which won promotion to the top division for the
Club after 83 years in lower divisions were: Rob Coulter, Adam
Pilat, Dave O'Reilly, Erik Musiol, Peter Bancroft (coach), Matt
Hendra, Jason Poggi, Jason Roberts, Peter Josey, Matthew Jones, Keith
Shaw, Daniel Timms, Andrew Balzat, Andrew Poyser, Damian Pilat,
Andrew Hendra, and Nick McCallum.
Stalwart Awards named
club initiated awards for players serving the club for over 20 years
and an honor board within the Clubhouse is erected. Players inducted
were awarded a Stalwart Jacket. For further information see
League team finishes
in Inaugural Season
In an amazing season the Mitchelton Football Club finished 4th
in its first tilt in Queensland's highest football competition.
4th spot was clinched in the final game of the home and
away season with a 1-0 home win over Queensland Lions. Mitchelton
then faced Queensland Lions in the semi-finals going down to the
eventual Grand Final winners. The Mitchelton Club was successful in
gaining the respect of the Brisbane Football Community with their
match day presentations and huge home crowds. There were an
abundance of memories from this first season in the Premier League.
Here are just some of them:
2,000 people attend first home game against Palm Beach.
Mitchelton sign two National team strikers from Vanuatu, Richard
Iwai and Etienne Mermer to bolster our attacking ranks.
Mitchelton defeat local rivals Brisbane City 4-1 at home amid
jubilant scenes of home fans.
Mitchelton come from 3-1 down at home with 20 minutes to play to
defeat Rochedale Rovers 4-3. Substitute Jason Poggi scores all
three goals with his head after coming on with 20 minutes to play.
2,000 people attend last home and away game versus Queensland Lions
at Teralba Park and witness 1-0 win to Mitchie that secures 4th
place and a place in the Semi-Finals. This was the last time that
Queensland Lions were defeated as they became Queensland Roar and
entered the newly formed National A-League.
Over 2,000 people visit Teralba Park seven days later to watch the
semi-final first leg between Mitchelton and Queensland Lions which
finishes 1-1. Queensland Lions win second leg to take their place
in the Grand Final.
Mitchelton's Nick Kuyper wins the Brisbane Men's Football Player
of the Year Award. Stephen Comino ranks seventh in overall points
for same Award.
Greg Brown (Coach) and Nick Kuyper selected in Brisbane Mens
Football team of the Year.
50 players and supporters visit Vanuatu for end of season trip.
team visit to Vanuatu to play exhibition matches against TAFEA
Football Club (Pt Vila Premier League)
and supporters visited Vanuatu for an end of season trip combined
with an exhibition game against the best Club side in Vanuatu, TAFEA
United. 4,000 spectators paid to watch the game held in the National
Stadium. Many of the fans had to walk long distances to get to the
game and then perched themselves in trees surrounding the ground to
watch the game. Mitchelton ran out winners 4-1. This visit has
provided a "sister club" affiliation with the TAFEA Football Club
which will provide opportunities for players in both countries and
friendships for life.
Club wins Australian Sports Commission 2005 Ausport Award for
excellence in club development
The purpose of the 2005 Award was to recognise
and reward the achievements, success stories and best practices of
individuals and groups within the Australian Sporting system. It
recognised quality management practices in areas of leadership,
planning, people and members. An independent panel comprised of
representatives from the sports industry assessed nominations in each
award category against key criteria to select the finalists.
The Australian Sports Commission's General Manager of Sport
Performance and Development said that Mitchelton Sports Club
represented a great example of an effective and well-managed sports
organisation which was driven by the principle of continuous
improvement. He said that Mitchelton Sports Club exemplified good
management practices by effectively delivering a range of programs
and initiatives to improve services to members.
The Club was commended for developing a strategic plan to improve its
management practices, to be more competitive, and to grow its
business which contributed towards its senior soccer being promoted
to the Premier League. The Club was also commended for its
initiatives to promote the Club's activities through its match
program and fixtures to help raise the Club's profile. Club
President, Rohan Cassell attended the presentation of
Club organises 40 year, 30 year, 20 year & 10 year Player Reunion
In 2006 the club held a reunion for players who played with the club
in 1960s, 1976, 1986 and 1996. The Club was unable to locate team
lists from 1966 but a number of
players from that era attended.
Football Club fields a record 70 teams
The break down of teams for the 2007 season is: 4 senior, 4 Over 35,
58 junior, 4 ladies (2 senior and 2 Junior). Total registrations are
about 700 players.